Friday 27 August 2010

Eating out with confidence

Last night I went out for dinner and chose Wagamama in Brighton as I'd heard the food was good, and also that they're very accommodating to people with dietary needs. The service was friendly and attentive and they certainly do cater for people with dietary needs/allergies.

I mentioned to the person taking our order that I was allergic to nuts and she went and got me the allergy menu, which lists for each different allergy/intolerance/otherwise restricted diet what dishes contain those foods and also what dishes contain those foods which can be modified to leave out the allergen. It's really easy to use as all the menu items are numbered, so you just cross reference your dietary needs with the allergy menu to choose food that's right for you.

There was a page for nut allergies, one for coeliac/gluten/wheat, one for egg, for shellfish, for lactose intolerance and vegan as well. I think there may have been more but I lost track as it was so comprehensive. You can see the whole list and options on the website which is useful if you're planning a meal out.

Everything's cooked fresh to order so there's no problem with amending certain dishes to suit your needs and I'm sure I've mentioned already, but the staff were really helpful and friendly about it. This makes a big difference as I sometimes feel like I'm being difficult when I say I have certain allergies and intolerances but they acted like it was totally normal.

I can't recommend it highly enough for anyone with (or without - the food rocks!) food allergies, find a Wagamama near you and go!

No comments:

Post a Comment