Tuesday 10 August 2010

Lactose in yoghurt

Whilst looking for mentions of lactose on Twitter I came across a link about certain types of yoghurt being suitable for people with lactose intolerance. I did a little digging and found the academic paper (http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/reprint/40/6/1219.pdf) which suggests that unpasteurized yoghurts are tolerable for lactose intolerant people because the fermentation process starts to break down the lactose before it's consumed, and the active cultures help you break down any remaining lactose in the yoghurt.

I haven't tried any yet, but it will be an interesting experiment to conduct especially as I love yoghurt and can't find the Lactofree ones anywhere convenient in Brighton. I'll report back with news when I've tried it.

Please leave a comment if you have tried live, unpasteurized yoghurts and found you had little or no symptoms, or you've tried it and found you still had the same symptoms.

No comments:

Post a Comment