One of my followers (@adelinekeirle) sent me this lactose free recipe for a cinnamon and banana cake, which I think could make a lovely alternative Christmas cake, and here's a picture of Adeline's cake, looks moist and delicious!:
The recipe is from Harry Eastwood's Red Velvet & Chocolate Heartache cake book. There are loads of recipes in there that are lactose and wheat free as she replaces most butter and extra sugars with vegetables and plain flour with rice flour.
- 140g banana (peeled weight)
- 2 medium free-range eggs
- 140g golden caster sugar
- 150g topped, tailed, peeled and finely grated courgettes/zucchinis
- 150g rice flour (which makes the cake wheat free, but you can use plain flour also)
- 2tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp mixed spice
- 50g finely chopped brazil/pecan/walnuts (I used 25g pecans and 25g walnuts)
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/gas 4. Brush the inside of a loaf tin (I didn't have one, so used a circular cake tin) with some vegetable oil
- Mash the banana thoroughly
- Whisk the eggs and sugar for a full 3 mins until pale and light. Whisk in the mashed-up banana until completely incorporated, then add the courgette and beat again.
- Add the flour, baking powder, salt, vanilla extract, cinnamon and mixed spice, and whisk again until completely blended.
- Mix in most of the nuts and pour the mixture into the prepared tin. Sprinkle the remaining nuts over the top and bake in the middle of the oven for 45 mins.
- Remove the cake from the oven and leave it to cool in the tin for 10 minutes.