Tuesday 13 July 2010

Welcome to my Lacto_X blog!

Hi! This is a blog about my experiences with lactose intolerance, and how I'm aiming to give the LI community something useful.

I've been LI for about 3 years now, and at first I found it really hard to live with. I could only get lactose free cheese in Europe, so my parents (who day-trip every few months) would bring back loads and freeze it for me. I've never been a tea or coffee drinker, and I prefer my cereal dry, so milk was never a problem for me. Unfortunately I'm also intolerant to soy protein, so soy milk and yoghurt/cheese wasn't an option for me.

About a year or so ago a company called Arla started producing lactose free cow's milk products and that changed my dietary restrictions completely! It was so much easier to eat what I wanted without having to live with the discomfort and, well, if you're LI I don't need to explain the rest!

I've just started up a twitter account for LI people in the UK to share information about foods that are dairy free. Because I've always had to read the labels on all my foods I've found that there are things which you wouldn't even think about buying as an LI person, but which happen to be dairy free. There's also a whole host of products aimed specifically at people with our dietary needs, and the twitter account should also be a place for us to share information about these.

You can find the account at http://twitter.com/Lacto_X. Start following the account, and posting information starting with @Lacto_X (which I'll then re-tweet so we can all share the knowledge), and use the hashtag #Lacto_X so we can all search for the hashtag as well.

I'd love it if this idea takes off, it's been rattling around my head for a couple of months now so I'd like to share it with you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment