Tuesday 13 July 2010

Recent experiences

As I'm sure most of you know, nearly every medicine contains lactose. It's a cheap bulking/sweetening agent which is why it's used. It can be a problem though when you need to take medication and you know it's going to make you feel nauseous (or worse!).

I very recently bruised my sciatic nerve (an amusing, if slightly embarrassing story which I'll share if I get asked enough!) so I'm taking a cocktail of painkillers to cope with it, which all contain lactose. In this case, I decided that the relative discomfort of the LI was much more preferable to excruciating pain.

I'd like to hear about your experiences of dealing with LI when getting medication, and how you make the decision to either take or not take the medicine.

1 comment:

  1. Just a note for future readers: it's also in some combined pills/contraceptive pills; make sure you check with your doctor when you go on the pill if you're lactose intolerant!

    ReplyDelete