Wednesday 14 July 2010

More info on my Twitter thingy

Hi everyone! I've been lactose intolerant for nearly 3 years now, and I'm also allergic to nuts and soy protein (luckily no yukky soy yoghurts for me!) so I've always had to read the labels of everything I eat.

However, I had an idea recently to make shopping easier for us LI people, so we don't have to read every label, and so we don't miss out on things which are suitable for people with LI.

The idea came when I was out shopping, and my eye was caught by lemon curd tarts, which I love, but haven't eaten for years because I assumed that I wouldn't be able to eat them. I checked the label and was surprised to find that they happened to be dairy free. I got to thinking how many other LI people would have walked past them thinking "it's a sweet bakery good, it must have some dairy ingredient" and never found out that they're dairy free.

So, I've set up a twitter account (http://twitter.com/Lacto_X) where you'll find my suggestions and tips for products that are dairy or lactose free. Simply follow the account, and when you find something which is dairy free, just write a reply to Lacto_X (start your tweet with @Lacto_X) and soon the account page will fill up with all our foodie tips. Please also use the hashtag #Lacto_X in your tweets so we can all search for that hashtag.

If enough people start to use it then I'll do some tweaking to change the set up, so that whenever you tweet a food tip with the #Lacto_X hashtag it automatically retweets it out to everyone who follows the Lacto_X account.

I really hope people find this useful, as I know I'd be really grateful if there was some easy way of spreading information about foods that happen to be dairy/lactose free but which the LI community might not know about.

No comments:

Post a Comment